Insane Asylime

Friday, March 10, 2006

My daughter, the stylist

I bought myself a new pair of jeans. Now those who know me know I am no slave to fashion. I dig my birkenstocks and tie-dye and batik and other weird ethnic things. I am slow to follow trends so it was only within the last week that I finally obtained my first pair of boot cut jeans (well ok, back in the day I had my bell bottoms, but that was 100 years ago). They were on sale, they were comfy, they were not low slung, I was feeling bold. Oh, and did I mention that Limelette #1, who is not given to lavishing compliments, actually said with enthusiasm and without being asked, 'They make your butt look great, Mom!' SOLD!!! All I can say is the store owes her some commission.

The next day I put them on. Limelette #2 immediately noticed. She is the family stylist, or tries to be. Sadly, I think we are beyond redemption. I don't know where she gets her fashion sense. Her father was grunge before it was a fasion statement. I alternate between hippie and frump. This kid looks up to date and like she stepped out of a fashion magazine all the time.

As I said, her radar zeroed in on my new jeans in a nanosecond. 'Wow, Mom! New jeans and they are bootcut!' she remarked as she slowly walked around me eyeing me up and down. 'Mom, I'm really proud of you!' In a low voice she added, 'You know, those other jeans are just soooo 80s. The straight legs, ugh! I mean really, all they needed were some bleach stains and distressing to make it even worse. I really think you should get rid of them now and invest in more of these. And by the way...Your butt looks great!'

She backed up, eyed me up again and added, 'We need to get you some nice shoes now and some cute shirts. I think I really need to have a look in your closet so we can avoid a few fashion don'ts. Oh, and now that you are thinking more fashionably, I think you should consider dying your hair too.'

Not a chance, kiddo.

6 Comments:

  • Oh LOL......thank goodness we have our girls to help us dress fashionably and avoid "fashion don'ts"...horrors!

    By Blogger S, at 1:28 PM  

  • lol, its interesting that the three of us( Lime, Susie, and I) sort of share this trait.
    My wardrobe is largely picked out by my sister and husband who keep me comparatively up to date.
    Thankfully, here in WA birks or Tevas or boots are considered appropriate almost everywhere and jeans, especially if they are black, will do for all but black tie affairs. Now if they would just design a semi-formal fleece hoodie, I'd be set!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:22 PM  

  • That will be Jessica in a few years.

    I used to be a tad in style. Now, I'm just a alternative napkin/tissue....

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 5:24 PM  

  • >.<

    By Blogger Bsoholic, at 9:43 PM  

  • I would have to kill her if I was you. LOL..sounds like she is looking out for you.

    By Blogger Read This, at 4:54 PM  

  • My eleven and thirteen year old G/daughters stayed for two days this past w/e, during which I swear they changed their outfits at least ten times, nothing old frock and frumpy with them. Your children obviously want their lovely mom(you) to be adored by them, let them advise you, dye your hair! Why not, maybe hubby will be pleased with the new you.

    By Blogger Vest, at 3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home