Insane Asylime

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Brief History Of The Bra


The first modern brassiere to receive a patent was one invented by a New York socialite named Mary Phelps Jacob in 1913.

A woman did this! I feel so betrayed!!!

Mary had just purchased a sheer evening gown for one of her social events. At that time, the only acceptable undergarment was a corset stiffened with whaleback bones. Mary found that the whalebones poked out visible around the plunging neckline and under the sheer fabric.

Ok – OUCH!!

An unhealthy and painful device designed to narrow an adult women's waist to 13, 12, 11 and even 10 or less inches, the corset is attributed to Catherine de Médicis, wife of King Henri II of France. She enforced a ban on thick waists at court attendance's (1550's) and started over 350 years of whalebones, steel rods and midriff torture.

Fun Fact – In 1917, The U.S. War Industries Board requests women to stop buying corsets to reduce the consumption of metal. Sources say up to 28,000 tons of metal was conserved through this effort - "enough to build two battleships."

And, I complain about underwire!!!! Holy Hell!!!

Mary Phelps Jacob was the first to patent an undergarment named 'Brassiere' derived from the old French word for 'upper arm'.

What ever happened to the term “over the shoulder boulder holder?”

And, I am pretty sure the French have a word for breast.

Her patent was for a device that was lightweight, soft and separated the breasts naturally.

Um…naturally, my breasts do not puff up close to my neck. Lightweight and soft – maybe. But it’s the last thing I put on my body before I leave the house and the first thing I take off when I get home.

9 Comments:

  • I hear that! Bras and shoes are not worn in my house! :P

    By Blogger S, at 11:02 PM  

  • Mary Phelps Jacob
    shall now be a byword, a slur upon those who torture and betray their own.
    Benedict Arnold, meet Mary Phelps Jacob.

    Although, it is possible that it was an improvement on the whalebone and steel, lord have mercy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 AM  

  • Could you imagine what some women would look like if they didn't wear a bra though? BLECH!!! I need to shut up before I make myself sick!LOL! I don't like bras either but I don't like my breasts hanging south either .. LOL! Good post ! :)

    By Blogger Breazy, at 8:13 AM  

  • ok ladies...to the tune of 'do your ears hang low'

    do your boobs hang low,
    do they wobble to and fro
    can ya tie em in a know
    can ya tie em in a bow
    can ya throw em over your shoulder
    like a continental soldier
    do your ears
    hang low

    i own and have worn a corset. i gotta say, a bra is a vast improvement. though i still am happy to remove the thing at the end of the day.

    i gotta bless the inventor of underwire though. without it i'd be a 36 long instead of a 36DD

    By Blogger lime, at 8:21 AM  

  • LMAO! Yay more talk of boobies! :D

    By Blogger Bsoholic, at 9:31 AM  

  • I wore a bra once....the extra air space around my ears kept them nice and toasty warm on that cold day!

    By Blogger The Village Idiot, at 11:46 AM  

  • I think they call it "upper arm" because that's where the underwire pokes you.

    I think the French word for breast is ta-ta.

    By Blogger DaMasta, at 1:06 PM  

  • AAAHHHHH! I had a difficult time getting past the pictures of the prickly bra!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

  • Wow! Thats all I can say! Cheers!

    By Blogger lecram sinun, at 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home