Insane Asylime

Saturday, September 17, 2005

kid art

Ok, first I would like to thank Snavy for inviting me to do a blog with her. I have been considering this blog thing for a while and she is getting me off my butt to do something about it. This should be a learning experience for me, a confirmed technophobe who somehow has developed a whole group of friendships online...go figure.

Snavy's kids are obviously experimenting with some rather advanced representational abstract art concepts. I think the monochromatic theme and bold strokes speak to their frustration with the rigid impostion of outmoded heirarchal roles in this cynical postmodern age. The simplicity and movement of the piece indicate a strong desire for freedom from adhering to societal expectations.

My own daughter, when she was 3, dabbled in such similar expressions. She wanted to finger paint so I set her up in one of those kid chairs that clips onto a table figuring it would contain the mess to the immediate area. She sat there happily smearing blobs of paint across a piece of paper. I had taken her shirt off so if she got paint on herself it was no biggie, no clothes ruined. We painted together a while, very sedately. Then I heard the washing machine stop in the next room. She was content. It would take me 30 seconds to unload the washer. I talked to her from the other room the whole time I was gone. When I returned she smiled broadly, holding up her now finished painting, "Look, Mommy!" I burst out laughing! In 30 seconds she had covered the paper, her left arm, her entire chest and belly, and part of her face in a muddy smear. Ah the joys of self-expression.

7 Comments:

  • OMG Limey!!! That's awesome!!

    Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!!!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 12:47 PM  

  • LOL Snavy! Thanks!

    By Blogger lime, at 1:18 PM  

  • Hey, welcome to the blogoshpere. Happy hauntings...

    By Blogger James Goodman, at 2:09 PM  

  • Show! LOL!
    Goody, Thanks!

    By Blogger lime, at 3:44 PM  

  • Lime I want to welcome you to blogland . If you aren't insane now trust me you will be hanging with all of us bloggies ! hehe. I have already put your link on my blog and this will be another daily read , several times a day actually ! :)

    Oh yeah and about making new friends , I can't tell you how many wonderful people I have met on here .

    By Blogger Breazy, at 11:07 PM  

  • Blogging becomes like a bad crack addiction. ENJOY! ;)

    By Blogger Bsoholic, at 12:43 AM  

  • breazy and bs.........i still need tolearn some of the lingo, in this new addiction, what do i ask for a blog bong, blop pipe? i'm tickled you've linked us. and snavy, thanks for the kick in the rump to get me going...you may have created a monster once i figure out the technical aspects, lol.

    By Blogger lime, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home